5 April 2014

Journal Day \\ seven

Do you use social media in your daily life? Do you think it adds to your relationships with others, or takes away from them? And furthermore, do you think social media adds more positive or negative to your life? Write about your relationship with social media, and talk a bit about how you got started, and what role it plays in your world.


Oh, social media. I feel like this topic comes up often in conversation. I use many different forms of it often: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. I was one of the first of my friends to get a Facebook account, after the American friends I met in France insisted I join so we could easily keep in touch. I think I jumped on the Twitter bandwagon in 2008 & I joined Instagram a few year later when I finally got an iPhone. 

I have to say that I absolutely love Instagram. I love the communities & challenges I've been exposed to because of it & I love following friends & making new ones. It's fun catching a glimpse into people's lives & I enjoy capturing little moments of mine that I might otherwise overlook. I enjoy Twitter for the same reasons, in addition to being able to follow news & other forums. 

I do think it can be a double-edged sword though. I've found myself opening Instagram without even realizing I'm doing it. I usually try to take a break & put my phone away when that happens, but it's remarkably easy to get caught up. N & I have had a few spats over our phone usage. I don't like when he plays games on his all the time & he doesn't always like when I'm on Instagram. In that regard, it doesn't add to my relationship. 

I think in a lot of other ways it can add to relationships though. I've inspired and been inspired by fitness friends & challenges, found great new recipes, & kept up with relationships I may not have otherwise. I don't use Facebook much anymore aside from posting photos, blog posts, or creating events, but I do find it really useful for those purposes, as well as for keeping in touch with friends overseas. It keeps things organized & I like that aspect of it. 

Going forward, I'd like to get better at putting my phone away & shutting off social media from time to time. I'd also like to learn to be more effective when I do use it. I think it can be a great tool when used properly & in moderation. (Ha! Everything in moderation, right?

...

This post is in response to Danielle's prompt on her blog, Sometimes Sweet. Find the rest of my responses in this series here

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?